Chevrolet Sonic Repair Manual: Brake Pad Inspection
Refer to Brake Dust Warning.
- Inspect the disc brake pads at regular intervals, or whenever the tire and wheel assemblies are removed from the vehicle.
- If replacement is necessary, always replace disc brake pads in axle sets.
- Inspect both edges of the disc brake pad friction surfaces (3). The highest rate of wear normally occurs at the trailing edge of the disc brake pads.
- Inspect the thickness of the disc brake pads (3) in order to ensure that they have not worn prematurely. The disc brake pad wear should be approximately even per axle set.
- Front brake pads have integral, audible wear sensors (1). When the disc brake pad wear reaches the minimum allowable thickness, the wear sensor contacts the disc brake rotor (2). The wear indicator will then produce an audible, high-pitched warning noise during wheel rotation.
- Replace the disc brake pads when the friction surface (3) is worn to within 2.00 mm (0.079 in) of the mounting plates.
- Verify that any disc brake pad shims that may be required are in place and not damaged or excessively corroded. Replace any missing or damaged shims in order to preserve proper disc brake performance.
- Replace the disc brake pads if any have separated from the mounting plates.
- Inspect the disc brake pads friction surfaces for cracks, fractures, or damage which may cause noise or otherwise impair disc brake performance.
Heater and Air Conditioning Evaporator Case Replacement
Air Conditioning (A/C) Evaporator Case Assembly Replacement Callout Component Name Preliminary Procedure Remove the instrument panel tie bar. Refer to Instrument Panel Tie Bar Replacement. Remove HVAC module.