Chevrolet Sonic Repair Manual: Engine Block Cleaning and Inspection
For equivalent regional tools, refer to Special Tools.
- Clean the sealing material from the gasket mating surfaces (2).
- Clean the engine block (1) and lower crankcase in a cleaning tank with solvent appropriate for aluminum. Refer to Adhesives, Fluids, Lubricants, and Sealers for the recommended solvent.
- Flush the engine block with clean water or steam.
- Clean the oil passages.
- Clean the blind holes.
- Spray the cylinder bores and the machined surfaces with engine oil.
- Inspect the threaded holes. Clean the threaded holes with a rifle brush. If necessary, drill out the holes and install thread inserts. Refer to Thread Inserts.
Do not attempt to machine the lower crankcase to engine block surfaces.
- Inspect the engine block for sag in length and width on the sealing surfaces.
- Inspect the engine block for distortion along the diagonals.
If the deck surface is out of specification, replace the block. Do not machine the block.
- Clean the sealing material from the gasket mating surfaces (1) on the lower crankcase oil pan side.
- Inspect the crankshaft main bearing bores. Use theEN-8087gauge (1) to measure the bearing bore concentricity and alignment.
- Replace the engine block and bed plate if the crankshaft bearing bores are out of specification.
- Inspect the cylinder bores using theEN-8087gauge (1). Inspect for the following items:
- Check the cylinder bores specifications. Refer to Engine Mechanical Specifications.
- If the cylinder bores are out of specification, replace the engine block.
Camshaft Timing Chain Removal
Special Tools EN-952 Fixing Pin EN-953-A Fixing Tool EN-955-10 Fixing Pin from EN-955 Kit For equivalent regional tools, refer to Special Tools. The engine should be adjusted to TDC. The crankshaft should be fixed with EN-952 fixing pin. The camshaft should be fixed with EN-953 ...
Drive Range, First Gear Engine Braking (Gen 2)
Note: Some models of the 6T30/40/45/50 automatic transmission are equipped with an electric auxiliary fluid pump for use in hybrid vehicles (BAS+). Hybrid vehicles do not require internal combustion engine (ICE) operation at all times. After a successful engine start, the hybrid powertrain con ...
If the vehicle has a manual transmission, before getting out of the vehicle, move the shift lever into R (Reverse) if parking on a downhill slope. On a level surface or an uphill slope, use 1 (First) gear. Firmly apply the parking brake.