Hyundai Sonata: 3. Exhaust emission control system
The Exhaust Emission Control System is a highly effective system which controls exhaust emissions while maintaining good vehicle performance.
This vehicle should not be modified. Modification of your vehicle could affect its performance, safety or durability and may even violate governmental safety and emissions regulations.
In addition, damage or performance problems resulting from any modification may not be covered under warranty.
Engine exhaust gas precautions (carbon monoxide)
• Carbon monoxide can be present with other exhaust fumes. Therefore, if you smell exhaust fumes of any kind inside your vehicle, have it inspected and repaired immediately. If you ever suspect exhaust fumes are coming into your vehicle, drive it only with all the windows fully open. Have your vehicle checked and repaired immediately
WARNING - Exhaust
Engine exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide (CO). Though colorless and odorless, it is dangerous and could be lethal if inhaled. Follow the instructions on this page to avoid CO poisoning.
CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
Engine exhaust and a wide variety of automobile components and parts, including components found in the interior furnishings in a vehicle, contain or emit chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects and reproductive harm. In addition, certain fluids contained in vehicles and certain products of component wear contain or emit chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
• Do not operate the engine in confined or closed areas (such as garages) any more than what is necessary to move the vehicle in or out of the area.
• When the vehicle is stopped in an open area for more than a short time with the engine running, adjust the ventilation system (as needed) to draw outside air into the vehicle.
• Never sit in a parked or stopped vehicle for any extended time with the engine running.
• When the engine stalls or fails to start, excessive attempts to restart the engine may cause damage to the emission control system.
Operating precautions for catalytic converters (if equipped)
WARNING - Fire
A hot exhaust system can ignite flammable items under your vehicle. Do not park, idle, or drive the vehicle over or near flammable objects, such as grass, vegetation, paper, leaves, etc.
Your vehicle is equipped with a catalytic converter emission control device. Therefore, the following precautions must be observed:
• Use only UNLEADED FUEL for gasoline engines.
• Do not operate the vehicle when there are signs of engine malfunction, such as misfire or a noticeable loss of performance.
• Do not misuse or abuse the engine. Examples of misuse are coasting with the ignition off and descending steep grades in gear with the ignition off.
• Do not operate the engine at high idle speed for extended periods (5 minutes or more).
• Do not modify or tamper with any part of the engine or emission control system. All inspections and adjustments must be made by an authorized HYUNDAI dealer.
• Avoid driving with a extremely low fuel level. Running out of fuel could cause the engine to misfire, damaging the catalytic converter.
Failure to observe these precautions could result in damage to the catalytic converter and to your vehicle. Additionally, such actions could void your warranties.