Kia Forte: Tilt and telescoping steering
Tilt steering allows you to adjust the steering wheel before you drive. You can also raise it to give your legs more room when you exit and enter the vehicle.
The steering wheel should be positioned so that it is comfortable for you to drive, while permitting you to see the instrument panel warning lights and gauges.
WARNING - Steering wheel adjustment
Never adjust the angle and height of the steering wheel while driving. You may lose steering control
To change the steering wheel angle, pull down the lock release lever (1), adjust the steering wheel to the desired angle (2) and height (3), then pull up the lock-release lever to lock the steering wheel in place. Be sure to adjust the steering wheel to the desired position before driving.
To sound the horn, press the horn symbol on your steering wheel. Check the horn regularly to be sure it operates properly.
To sound the horn, press the area indicated by the horn symbol on your steering wheel (see illustration). The horn will operate only when this area is pressed.
Heated steering wheel (if equipped)
With the ignition switch in the ON position, pressing the heated steering wheel button warms the steering wheel. The indicator on the button will illuminate and notify you on the LCD display.
To turn the heated steering wheel off, press the button once again. The indicator on the button will turn off and notify you on the LCD display.
If you turn on the ignition again after turning off your engine in half an hour (after operating heater button), the heating system will be maintained in its 'on' condition.
- Do not install any grip to operate the steering wheel. This causes damage to the heated steering wheel system.
- When cleaning the heated steering wheel, do not use an organic solvent such as paint thinner, benzene, alcohol and gasoline. Doing so may damage the surface of the steering wheel.
- If the surface of the steering wheel is damaged by a sharp object, damage to the heated steering wheel components could occur.
Flex steer (if equipped)
The FLEX STEER controls steering effort based upon driver's preference or road condition.
You can select the desired steering mode by pressing the FLEX STEER button.
When the steering mode button is pressed, the selected steering mode will appear on the LCD display.
If the steering mode button is pressed within 4 seconds, the steering mode will change as shown above the pictures.
If the steering wheel mode button is not pressed for about 4 seconds, the LCD display will change to the previous screen.
The normal mode offers medium steering effort.
The steering wheel becomes heavier. The sport mode is usually used when driving on the highway.
The steering wheel becomes lighter. The comfort mode is usually used when driving in the city or when parking the vehicle.
- For your safety, if you press the steering mode button while operating the steering wheel, the LCD display will change, but steering effort will not change immediately. After operating the steering wheel, the steering effort will change automatically to the selected mode.
- Use caution when changing the steering mode while driving.
- When the electronic power steering is not operating, the flex steering wheel will not work.