Mercedes-Benz E-Class: The first 1000 miles (1500 km)
The more you look after the engine when it is new, the more satisfied you will be with its performance in the future.
- Drive at varying vehicle speeds and engine speeds for the first 1000 miles (1500 km) for this reason.
- Avoid overstraining the vehicle during this period, e.g. driving at full throttle.
- Change gear in good time, at the latest when the tachometer needle is 2/3 of the way to the red area in the tachometer display.
- If possible, do not depress the accelerator pedal past the point of resistance (kickdown).
- Only select shift ranges 3, 2 or 1 when driving slowly, e.g. in mountainous terrain.
After 1000 miles (1500 km), you can increase the engine speed gradually and bring the vehicle up to full speed.
Additional breaking-in notes for AMG vehicles:
- do not drive faster than 85 mph (140 km/h) in the first 1000 miles (1500 km).
- only allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4500 rpm briefly.
- change gear in good time.
You should also observe these notes on running in if the engine or parts of the drive train on your vehicle have been replaced.
Always observe the respective speed restrictions.