Subaru Legacy: AT and CVT models
If you restart the engine while the vehicle is moving, shift the select lever into the “N” position. Do not attempt to place the select lever of a moving vehicle into the “P” position.
1. Apply the parking brake.
2. Turn off unnecessary lights and accessories.
3. Shift the select lever to the “P” or “N” position (preferably “P” position). The starter will only operate when the select lever is at the “P” or “N” position.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position and check the operation of the warning and indicator lights. Refer to “Warning and indicator lights” F3-9.
Do not operate the starter motor continuously for more than 10 seconds. If the engine fails to start after operating the starter for 5 to 10 seconds, wait for 10 seconds or more before trying again.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the “START” position without depressing the accelerator pedal. Release the key immediately after the engine has started.
If the engine does not start, perform the following procedure.
(1) Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position and wait for at least 10 seconds. After checking that the parking brake is applied, turn the ignition switch to the “START” position while depressing the accelerator pedal slightly (approximately a quarter of the full stroke). Release the accelerator pedal as soon as the engine starts.
(2) If this fails to start the engine, turn the ignition switch back to the “LOCK” position and wait for at least 10 seconds. Then fully depress the accelerator pedal and turn the ignition switch to the “START” position. If the engine starts, quickly release the accelerator pedal.
(3) If this fails to start the engine, turn the ignition switch again to the “LOCK” position. After waiting for 10 seconds or longer, turn the ignition switch to the “START” position without depressing the accelerator pedal.
(4) If the engine still refuses to start, contact your nearest SUBARU dealer for assistance.
6. Confirm that all warning and indicator lights have turned off after the engine has started. The fuel injection system automatically lowers the idle speed as the engine warms up.
While the engine is warming up, make sure that the select lever is at the “P” or “N” position and that the parking brake is applied.
NOTE (2.5 L non-turbo and 3.6 L models)
To protect the engine while the select lever is in the “P” or “N” position, the engine is controlled so that the engine speed may not become too high even if the accelerator pedal is depressed hard.
MT models1. Apply the parking brake. 2. Turn off unnecessary lights and accessories. 3. Depress the clutch pedal to the floor and shift the shift lever into neutral. Hold the clutch pedal to the floor whil ...
Stopping the engineWARNING Do not stop the engine when the vehicle is moving. This will cause loss of power to the power steering and the brake booster, making steering and braking more difficult. It could also res ...
Two radar sensors below the rear bumper monitor the area behind and next to the vehicle at speeds above approx.