Toyota Highlander Owners Manual: Selecting shift ranges in the s position
To enter s mode, shift the shift lever to s. Shift ranges can be selected by operating the shift lever, allowing you to drive in the shift range of your choosing. The shift range can be selected by the shift lever.
The selected shift range, from 1 to 6, will be displayed on the multIInformation display.
The initial shift range in s mode is set automatically to 5 or 4 according to vehicle speed. However, the initial shift range may be set to 3 if ai-shift has operated while the shift lever was in d.
*1: Vehicles with monochrome display *2: vehicles with color display
Shift ranges and their functions
- Automatically selecting shift ranges between 1 and 6 according to vehicle speed and driving conditions. But the gear is limited according to selected range.
- You can choose from 6 levels of engine braking force.
- A lower shift range will provide greater engine braking force than a higher shift range, and the engine speed will also increase.
Message illustrations used in this section are intended as examples, and may differ from the image that is actually displayed on the multi-information display.
- When the shift range is 5 or lower, holding the shift lever toward "+" sets the shift range to 6.
- To prevent excessive engine speed, a function was adopted that automatically selects a higher shift range before engine speed becomes too high.
- To protect the automatic transmission, a function is adopted that automatically selects a higher shift range when the fluid temperature is high.
Downshifting restrictions warning buzzer
To help ensure safety and driving performance, downshifting operation may sometimes be restricted. In some circumstances, downshifting may not be possible even when the shift lever is operated. (A buzzer will sound twice.)
Snow mode automatic deactivation
Snow mode is automatically deactivated if the engine is turned off after driving in snow mode.
When driving with cruise control or dynamic radar cruise control activated
Even when performing the following actions with the intent of enabling engine braking, engine braking will not activate while driving in s mode and downshifting to 5 or 4 because cruise control or dynamic radar cruise control will not be canceled.
If the shift lever cannot be shifted from p
If the s indicator does not come on or the d indicator is displayed even after shifting the shift lever to s
This may indicate a malfunction in the automatic transmission system. Have the vehicle inspected by your toyota dealer immediately.
(In this situation, the transmission will operate in the same manner as when the shift lever is in d.)
If the automatic transmission fluid temperature warning message is displayed
If the automatic transmission fluid temperature warning message is displayed while driving, make sure to return to d position driving and reduce speed by easing off the accelerator pedal. Stop the vehicle in a safe place, shift the shift lever to p and let the engine idle until the warning message goes out.
When the warning message goes out, the vehicle can be driven again.
If the warning message does not go out after waiting a while, have your vehicle inspected by your toyota dealer.
The ai-shift automatically selects the suitable gear according to driver performance and driving conditions.
The ai-shift automatically operates when the shift lever is in d. (Shifting the shift lever to s cancels the function.)
Do not accelerate or shift gears suddenly.
Sudden changes in engine braking may cause the vehicle to spin or skid, resulting in an accident.