Toyota RAV4 Service Manual: Precaution
- If any of following conditions are met, keep engine idling with a/c on (engine speed at less than 2000 rpm) for at least 1 minute:
- Refrigerant gas has been refilled or a/c parts have been replaced.
- A long time has elapsed since the engine was stopped.
If the engine speed exceeds 2,000 rpm, the a/c compressor may be damaged.
- Do not handle refrigerant in enclosed areas or near open flames
- Always wear eye protection
- Be careful not to get liquid refrigerant in your eyes or on your skin
If liquid refrigerant gets in your eyes or on your skin:
- Wash the area with lots of cold water.
Do not rub your eyes or skin.
- Apply clean petroleum jelly to the skin.
- Go immediately to a physician or hospital for professional treatment.
- Never heat container or expose it to open flame
- Be careful not to drop container or subject it to physical shocks
- Do not operate compressor with insufficient refrigerant in refrigerant system
If there is not enough refrigerant in the refrigerant system, oil lubrication will be insufficient and compressor burnout may occur. Necessary care should be taken to avoid this.
- Do not open high pressure manifold valve while compressor is operating
Open and close only the low pressure valve. Opening and closing the high pressure valve could cause the charging cylinder to rupture.
- Be careful not to overcharge system with refrigerant
If the refrigerant is overcharged, it causes problems such as insufficient cooling, poor fuel economy and engine overheating.
- Do not operate engine and compressor without refrigerant
This may damage the inside of the compressor.