Toyota Tacoma 2015-2018 Service Manual: New Key cannot be Registered
- If registration of an electrical key transmitter sub-assembly is not possible, first confirm the procedure by engine immobiliser system.
- A new registration mode can be entered only when no electrical key transmitter sub-assemblies are stored in the certification ECU (smart key ECU assembly).
- The smart key system (for Entry Function) uses a multiplex communication system (LIN communication system) and the CAN communication system. Inspect the communication function by following How to Proceed with Troubleshooting. Troubleshoot the smart key system (for Entry Function) after confirming that the communication systems are functioning properly.
- When using the Techstream with the engine switch off, connect the Techstream to the DLC3 and turn a courtesy light switch on and off at intervals of 1.5 seconds or less until communication between the Techstream and the vehicle begins. Then select the vehicle type under manual mode and enter the following menus: Body Electrical / Smart Key. While using the Techstream, periodically turn a courtesy light switch on and off at intervals of 1.5 seconds or less to maintain communication between the Techstream and the vehicle.
- Before replacing the electrical key transmitter sub-assembly, certification ECU (smart key ECU assembly), steering lock ECU (steering lock actuator or UPR bracket assembly), refer to the smart key system (for Entry Function).
- Inspect the fuses for circuits related to this system before performing the following procedure.